NEW YORK- Chrysler Group LLC made no compromises when it came to the 2014 Dodge Durango, according to the brand’s CEO.
When unveiling the full-size sport utility vehicle Thursday in New York, Reid Bigland, Dodge president and CEO, said the Durango’s aerodynamic design and muscular, athletic stance makes “for an imposing figure when it rolls up next to you on the highway.”
“Without question, it is our most technologically advanced, fuel-efficient, and powerful Durango ever,” he said. “Designed and engineered as the ultimate no compromise seven-passenger SUV found only in a Dodge.”
The 2014 Durango will be available in the SXT and Rallye, Limited, R/T and Citadel. It features slimmer “split crosshair” grille with mesh textures unique to each trim level. The exterior of the vehicle also redesigned projector-beam headlamps and a raised front bumper.
For a more monochromatic appearance, according to Chrysler, the Rallye and R/T are equipped with dark-tinted headlamp bezels, body-color front and rear lower fascias, wheel flares, grille and sill moldings, all unique to the these packages. The R/T’s ride height has also been lowered by 20 mm, further enhancing its sporty appearance and driving dynamics.
2014 Dodge Durango debuts in New YorkChrysler Group LLC made no compromises when it came to the 2014 Dodge Durango, according to the brand’s CEO.
To power the vehicle, customers can choose between Chrysler’s award-winning Pentastar V6 that delivers a more than 600-mile range or 5.7-liter V8 engine that delivers best-in-class 360 horsepower and 390 lb.-ft. torque. Both also have a class-exclusive standard eight-speed automatic transmission that boosts fuel economy as much as 9 percent.
Bigland told reporters after the event that a diesel option is not being discussed right now, but could be an option in the future.
“We’ll see how the diesel does in the (Grand) Cherokee and we’ll go from there,” he said in response to a question about the Durango getting a 3.0 liter, V6 “EcoDiesel” engine, which will be offered in the Grand Cherokee.
From a technology standpoint, the 2014 Durango features a host of new safety and infotainment options, including the latest 8.4-inch Uconnect Access Via Mobile touchscreen with downloadable apps and customizable instrument gauge cluster with 7-inch full-color screen.
The new Durango competes in the full-size SUV segment, which with 900,000 units sold in 2012, has jumped 82 percent since 2009. Since 2008, when the Durango was first introduced, Chrysler has sold nearly 2 million of the vehicles worldwide.
Here’s some featured highlights from Chrysler about the 2014 Durango:
– Segment-first eight-speed automatic transmission with rotary shifter allows for up to a 9 percent improvement in fuel economy and a more refined driving experience
– Class-exclusive Dodge “racetrack” LED tail lamps with 192 LEDs
– New front fascia with floating signature Dodge crosshair grille
– New projector headlamps with available LED running lights
– 5-inch or 8.4-inch touchscreens with available class-exclusive Uconnect Access and navigation with 3D mapping
– The latest available Uconnect Access system with Wi-Fi capability and mobile apps, including Pandora and iHeartradio
– Available voice command, Uconnect handsfree calling, handsfree texting, streaming music via Bluetooth and remote USB port
– Class-exclusive standard 7-inch customizable thin-film transistor (TFT) full-color instrument cluster
– Available class-exclusive Blu-ray / DVD rear entertainment system with new dual 9-inch screens in the driver and front passenger seat-backs
– New three-spoke steering wheel with standard paddle shifters
– Available second-row captain’s chairs with a standard pass-through center console that makes for easy travel between second- and third-row seats
– Available second-row full center console with additional storage – available at all trim levels
– New available fully integrated tow hitch
– New Limited model with standard leather seats, heated seats, heated steering wheel and standard 8.4-inch Uconnect touchscreen
– Rallye Group with a sinister monochromatic appearance and class-exclusive 20-inch Hyper Black wheels
– All-new wheel lineup with a choice of seven wheels featuring 18-inch and 20-inch wheels with finishes ranging from silver painted to polished aluminum to class-exclusive Hyper Black
– New standard capless fuel fill making for easy fuel fill ups
– More than 60 available safety and security features, including
– Auto crash notification/911 call button
– Adaptive cruise control with stop function
– Forward collision warning with collision mitigation
– Ten exterior colors, seven different wheels, nine different interiors, including premium cloth, Capri leather and perforated Nappa leather with three different (black, gray and red) stitching accents, unique bezels and headliners